Thomas OLMAN

Male 1866 - Yes, date unknown

Personal Information    |    Sources    |    Event Map    |    All    |    PDF

  • Name Thomas OLMAN 
    Born 1 Mar 1866  Waterloo, South Australia, Australia Find all individuals with events at this location  [1
    Gender Male 
    _CSTAT Twin 
    Died Yes, date unknown 
    • Could have been the Thomas Olman who was killed by a blow to the head 2 Sep 1911 at Ida H near Laverton, Western Australia.

      Western Australian Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages:
      Olman Thomas,  Male, Mt Margaret district,  44 /1911

      Laverton Cemetery:
      OLMAN  Thomas      
      Burial No 147
      Row H 15
      Burial date 1911      
      Registation number 44/11
      Registration District Mt Margaret

      Death of Thomas Olman.

      The adjourned inquiry into the circumstances surrounding the death of Thomas Olman, which took place at the Ida H on the 2nd inst, was held at the Laverton Court House on Monday. The acting coroner was Mr. H Johnston, J.P., and the jury consisted of: Messrs W. C Hill (foreman), G. Smart. and O. Cullen. Mr. G. H. Bray watched the proceedings on behalf of Roy. The following evidence was adduced:--

      Matthew Dooley stated that he was a mate of deceased. He saw him at Ida H on the 3rd inst. at 8 o'clock in the morning about 50 yards from the hotel on the Laverton Burtville road. He was lying near some drays close to the road, half on his face and half on his stomach. Spoke to him but got no reply. Thought he had been drinking and did not persevere with him. There was a pool of blood close to his mouth. Three quarters of an hour afterwards he secured a cart and with the assistance of John Krause put Olman into the cart. Saw Roy shortly afterwards in the Ida H Hotel about 9 o'clock and had a drink with him and accused him of having hit "Charcoal"  (meaning deceased), and Roy said he did not hit him, but he pushed him. Witness then conveyed the body to the Laverton Hospital, arriving there at about 11 a.m. Dr. Mitchell examined the body and pronounced life to be extinct. Reported the matter to the police. Deceased had his trousers, shirt, and hat on when be brought him in. Deceased was a very peaceful man.

      Henry St. John Mitchell stated he was a duly qualified medical practitioner in charge of the Laverton Hospital. On Sunday, 3rd inst, about 11 o'clock, the body of Thomas Olman was brought to the hospital. He examined the body and in his opinion deceased was dead when he left the Ida H Later on in the day he held a post mortem examination. With the exception of a bruise on the right temple, in which some grains of ironstone gravel were still sticking, there were no external marks of injury. On removing the scalp a large quantity of extravasated blood was found under the scalp in the left temporal region. On removing the bones of the skull a large clot of blood was found in the corresponding point under the dura mater, severely compressing the left anterior lobe of the brain, and on the surface of the brain a bruise and lacerated patch about the size of a two shilling piece from which the hemorrhage which formed the clot had proceeded. There was no fracture of the skull. The other organs of the body were healthy. The cause of death was compression of the brain caused by hemorrhage.

      John Alexander Krause said he was the licensee of the Ida H Hotel. On the evening of the 2nd inst. he saw deceased Olman in the bar of the hotel, and Roy was also there. He (Roy) was there at 8.30. Saw deceased leave the hotel and go out to the back at about 11 o'clock Did not see Roy follow him. Locked up the bar Heard a row at the rear of the hotel. Went down and saw deceased through the lattice-work lying on the ground about ten yards from the back door. Roy was standing two or three yards from deceased. Roy called deceased a bastard and walked away to the front of the hotel and walked down the passage. Olman was trying to say something but witness could not understand what he said. Met Roy in the passage of the hotel who asked him where a man named Garton was. Somebody said he had gone home. Roy said, " I have just paid one bastard, and if I get him I'll pay him ; they have been talking about me owing money for wood.". Roy then got on his horse and galloped towards the mine. Roy was not drunk, or he didn't appear to him to be so. Olman was partly intoxicated. Olman was a very harmless individual. On the 8rd inst, in consequence of what he heard, he got up at about 8 30 a.m. and went to where some teams of horses were. Saw deceased lying half on his stomach and half on his side on the Laverten-Burtville road. Examined him and came to the conclusion that he was nearly dead. Deceased had been bleeding from the nose and mouth. Saw deceased's mate Dooley and asked him to get a cart and take Olman to the Laverton Hospital. Gave him assistance to put Olman into the cart. Later on saw Roy at the hotel at 9 a a.m.. Said to Roy, "You settled 'Charcoal' (meaning deceased) last night; you had better take him to the hospital." Roy said he did not hit him, that he only pushed him.

      William Hourigan said he was a miner residing at the Ida H. On the 2nd inst. he was at the Ida H Hotel from 7 p.m. till 11 p.m. Saw Roy and Olman there. Witness left the hotel about 11 p.m.. He was standing outside the hotel shortly after wards and saw Roy gallop up and get off his horse. Witness left the front of the hotel and went to the rear. Roy followed. Saw deceased sitting out at the back of the hotel on an empty case. Ry said, " Here's this b-- old bastard (meaning deceased) here." Olman got up and walked round towards the front of the hotel where the teams were camped on the Laverton-Burtville road about 50 yards east of the hotel. Roy followed him and witness followed Roy, as he thought Roy was going to hit Olman. When within three yards of the team Roy caught hold of Olman and pulled him around, but witness prevented him from hitting Olman. Said to Roy, " Do not hit the poor old b--." Let Roy go then. Deceased then said to Roy, "Go away you bastard" Roy made a blow at Olman, who was about a yard away, and struck him heavily on the head. Olman fell like a log to the ground. Did not know what side of the head Roy hit deceased on, as he did not think he would hit him after he (witness) had interfered. Deceased had his hat on at the time he received the blow. Deceased after he fell made no attempt to rise, neither did he speak.

      Alfred Albert Malthouse said he was a horsedriver in the employ of William Cooper at Ida H. On the 2nd inst. at night he was camped about 50 yards east of the Ida H Hotel on the Laverton-Burtville road. Went to bed about 9 o'clock. About 11 o'clock heard a disturbance on the road close to where he was camped, bad language being used. Heard somebody call another a, b--bastard, and heard the same voice repeating the expression several times. Heard something like a blow being struck and a fall. Then beard somebody say, " It is a pity to hit old ' Charcoal.' Didn't get out of bed. Afterwards recognised the voice which he had previously heard as that of Roy, as he (Roy) came to the camp and he (witness) asked him what the hell be was poking about there for. Roy replied that he would deal with him if he got up. The night was moonlight and he could recognise Roy. Roy then went away. Later on got up and covered deceased with a tent. On the morning of the 3rd inst. went to where deceased was lying and had a look at him. He was lying on his side and breathing heavily. First thought he was vomiting, but subsequently found it was blood coming from his mouth or nose. Was present when Dooley and Krause put Olman into the spring cart. Have known deceased for a number of years and have found him a quiet man.
      To the Jury: Deceased did not speak when he put the tent over him.

      George Garton said he was a woodcutter residing at Ida H. Know John Roy. He came to his camp about midnight on the 2nd inst. Witness was in bed asleep. Roy pulled his nose and woke him up, and said, "Come on, George, you little bastard, I have settled 'Charcoal' and I want you now." Witness refused to fight him and ordered him out of his camp. He had a mate in his camp and for bluff said to him, " Give me that revolver and I'll blow his b-- head off " Roy then left. Did not know that Roy had had a row with Olman. The night was moonlight.
      To the Jury: When Roy came to his camp he appeared to be half drunk and was in a bad temper.

      Senior constable Malone gave evidence as to a report being made to him by a man named Dooley on the 3rd September regarding the occurrence. In consequence he, in company with Constable Hunter, proceeded to Ida H, and, after making certain investigations, arrested Roy.

      1911 'Death of Thomas Olman.', Laverton Mercury (Laverton, WA : 1899 - 1919), 16 September, p. 3. , viewed 19 May 2016,



      At the Criminal Court, Kalgoorlie, this morning, before his Honor the Chief Justice (Sir Stephen Parker), John K. Roy was charged, with murder in connection with the death of Thos. Olman at Ida H. on the night or September 2.

      Mr. Frank Parker conducted the prosecution, and Mr. C. A. Mayhall appeared for prisoner.

      John Alex. Krause, licensee of the Ida H. Hotel, said he knew deceased, Thos. Olman who was at his hotel on Saturday night, September 2. Prisoner was also there. Olman left the hotel at about closing-up time, and went out to the rear. Witness heard a noise at the back,and looked through the lattice work to see what was the matter. It was bright moonlight, and he saw the deceased lying on the ground, partly on his side, about 10 yards away. Roy was standing about three yards from deceased, and was using bad language, He appeared to be addressing deceased. No one else was present. Prisoner then walked round to the front of the hotel and came into the bar, and asked for a man named Gartain Hourigan. Two Italians were in the bar. Someone replied, "He has gone home." Roy said, "I have just paid one --, and I'll pay the other. They've been talking about me owing money for wood." He then left the hotel and mounting his horse galloped away in the direction of the mine. Prisoner had had a few drinks, and so had deceased. Earlier in the evening deceased had been put under the table by someone, and he must have remained there for about two hours, being pulled out just before closing time. At that time Olman had no marks on him as far as witness could see. Olman was known by the name of "Charcoal" and was a woodcutter. It was about a quarter past eleven when prisoner left the hotel. Deceased was lying about 25 yards from the urinal. Witness got up next morning shortly after 8 o'clock, and went to a place about 50 yards from the hotel toward the mine. Olman was near one of the drays lying partly on his stomach and partly on his side. He felt his heart, but could not feel anything like a beat. He heard a rattle--like a death rattle--and it was evidently deceased had been bleeding from the mouth The blood had dried. A man named Dooley assisted witness to remove Olman. Shortly after be saw prisoner standing in front of the hotel. He called him aside, and said "You had better take 'Charcoal' to the hospital. You settled him last night." Prisoner said, "I didn't hit him. I only pushed him," and as he refused to take the man to the hospital witness got Dooley to do so. Olman was lying about 100 yards from the place he saw him the previous night, and an old bag was under his head. For five or six yards heelmarks were visible as though deceased had been pulled some distance.

      Cross-examined by Mr. Mayhall: He asked prisoner to take deceased to hospital before Dooley put him in the cart. There was a stone in the bar. He would not deny that deceased fell down several times during the time he was in the bar: He did not see him put under the table: A man named Vinetti put him there. There had been a bit of a scramble near the stone, and deceased overbalanced and fell against the wall which prevented his falling to the ground. The time was about 8.30 p.m. Prisoner arrived at the hotel at about that time, and did not seem quite sober.

      William Hourigan, a miner, said he was at the Ida H. Hotel on the night of September 2. He saw deceased and prisoner in the taproom. The hotel was closed immediately after he and a couple of friends had had a drink. He first saw Roy coming down from the direction of the mine on horseback. When witness left his friends and went outside for a few minutes prisoner followed on just behind him. Olman was then sitting on a box about 13 yards from the urinal. Roy, ^ quite close, said, "Here is this ----  old --." Deceased immediately got up, and walked to the front of the hotel, then towards the teams. Roy followed deceased and witness followed both. Prisoner caught hold of Olman and appeared to pull him round. Witness interfered and told prisoner to leave the old man alone. He tried to pacify Roy, who said Olman deserved a punch. Prisoner struck deceased, who fell on his back. Witness remarked that he thought Olman was hurt, as he remained still and did not speak. Prisoner said, "I think I'll put him out of the road. He might get run over." Roy then caught hold of deceased under the arms and dragged him a few yards off the road. When struck deceased was not in a fighting attitude. Before witness left he put a bag under deceased's head. Prisoner went to his horse and spoke to a teamster.

      Cross-examined by Mr. Mayhall: He did not hear Olman, [say] anything wrong about deceased's [should be prisoner's] wife. To His Honor: Olman was about 50 years old, about 5ft. 4in., and did not appear to be a strong man. He did not know if deceased had blood on his face when he put the bag under his head. At that time Olman was breathing heavily and appeared stunned.

      Alfred A. Malthouse, a horsedriver, said on the night of September 2 he was camped near the Ida H. Hotel. He went to bed about 9 p.m., but during the night was awakened by a disturbance. Someone was using bad language. He also heard a noise as if a blow had been struck, and someone falling to the ground. He asked Roy what he was kicking up a noise about, and prisoner thereupon intimated that he would treat him (witness) as he had treated "Charcoal" if he came out. Witness thought it wiser to remain where he was. About 15 minutes after Roy left he got out of bed and saw someone lying on the ground and covered him over with a tent. It was a cold night. He did not examine the man. Next morning at about 8 o'clock he recognised Olman who was then breathing heavily. Blood was on the ground,and it had evidently come out of Olman's mouth or nose. He saw Krause and Dooley put deceased in a cart.

      Cross-examined by Mr Mayhall: Olman and prisoner were about the same height, and strength. There were several Austrians, Italians, and others camped near there. Blacks were troublesome occasionally. He did not know if anyone had supplied drink to the natives that night, or if deceased had any liquor in his possession. Matthew Dooley, a woodcutter, living about five miles from Ida H., said he was mates with Olman. On Sunday morning, September 3, he saw his mate lying on the ground. On going over to speak to him he noticed blood on the ground. He got a cart from the publican, who assisted him to put "Charcoal" in the conveyance and then he drove him to the hospital. He previously accused Roy of having hit Olman. Roy denied the accusation, and said he had only pushed him. When he got to the hospital at about 11 o'clock Dr. Mitchell said Olman was dead. Later he reported the matter to the police.

      Henry St. John Mitchell, medical officer of the Laverton Hospital, said the previous witness brought a man to hospital on September 3. He made an examination, and found him to be dead. He thought judging by certain signs that Olman had been dead about an hour and a half. Deceased was of medium height, well nourished, and muscular.  There was blood about deceased's mouth and nose and a superficial abrasion on his right temple. There was a lacerated opening on the brain under a clot of blood. The clot had come from the opening. In every day language he would describe it as "the brain had burst." It was compression of the brain which had caused death. The injuries could only be caused by a very heavy blow on the temple or a heavy fall on the back of the head.

      Cross-examined by Mr. Mayhall : A  violent push against a wall would cause the same injuries. A man with such injuries would be dead within three or four hours. 

      Geo. Garton, a woodcutter was camped about half a mile from Ida H. mill. Near midnight on September 2, accused visited his camp, pulled his nose, and said, "Come on George you little --, I've settled "Charcoal" and I've got you now." Witness ordered him out of the camp but Roy would not go, so he called out as a bluff for a revolver. Prisoner then left.  

      The jury returned a verdict of man-slaughter, and recommended the prisoner to mercy on the grounds of unforseen circumstances. 

      Mr. Mayhall intimated that the prisoner was suffering from heart disease, and urged His Honor to pronounce sentence.

      Dr. Mitchell was called, and gave evidence regarding the condition of the prisoner's health, after which he was remanded till Monday next for sentence.

      1911 'MANSLAUGHTER', The Evening Star (Boulder, WA : 1898 - 1921), 22 September, p. 3. , viewed 19 May 2016,



      At the Kalgoorlie criminal court this afternoon John R. Roy, who had previously been found guilty of manslaughter of Thomas Olman, at Laverton, was put forward for sentence. The Chief Justice said that the medical evidence was that the prisoner was in such a state of health that quietness and regular life was what was needed for him. He would get both these at Fremantle gaol, and therefore would be sentenced to 12 months.

      "MANSLAUGHTER" The Evening Star (Boulder, WA : 1898 - 1921) 25 September 1911: 3. Web. 19 May 2016 <>.
    Person ID I9926  Colston & Wenck families in Australia
    Last Modified 3 Apr 2017 

    Father William OLMAN,   c. 6 Jun 1836, Great Driffield, Yorkshire, England Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 2 Dec 1874, Queensland, Australia Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age ~ 38 years) 
    Mother Harriet BROWN,   b. Sep Q 1843, Great Driffield, Yorkshire, England Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 14 Aug 1921, Cheltenham, South Australia, Australia Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age ~ 78 years) 
    Married 4 Sep 1860  Trinity Church, Riverton, South Australia, Australia Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Family ID F6121  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

  • Event Map
    Link to Google MapsBorn - 1 Mar 1866 - Waterloo, South Australia, Australia Link to Google Earth
     = Link to Google Earth 
    Pin Legend Address Cemetery Farm Town Parish City County/Shire State/Province Country Region Not Set

  • Sources 
    1. [S364] South Australian Births 1842-1906, (SAGS), District Code: Gil Symbol: M Book: 41 Page: 437.